Less is more with Facebook ads. Stop overthinking this stuff!
1. Keep The Performance Goal is chosen within the ad set and determines optimization and delivery. How you optimize impacts who sees your ad. Meta will show your ad to people most likely to perform your desired action. More simple. What’s the action you want? Optimize for that.
2. Stop wasting time with targeting. Now that we have the Advantage expansion products, Meta wants you to go broad. In most cases, you should. In many cases, you don’t actually have a choice. Your This is the group of people who can potentially see your ads. You help influence this by adjusting age, gender, location, detailed targeting (interests and behaviors), custom audiences, and more. More will be expanded.
3. Stop messing with placements. You think certain placements won’t work. So what? The algorithm will sort it out. If you optimize for A conversion is counted whenever a website visitor performs an action that fires a standard event, custom event, or custom conversion. Examples of conversions include purchases, leads, content views, add to cart, and registrations. More, you should use Advantage Placements.
4. You usually don’t need to create a bunch of ad variations. You’re just watering down your results anyway. Use multiple text options and standard enhancements instead.
5. You don’t need all of those An ad set is a Facebook ads grouping where settings like targeting, scheduling, optimization, and placement are determined. More. You were probably using them for different audiences you don’t need anyway. That may result in Audience Fragmentation is the potential result of running multiple ad sets that target different groups of people but are optimized in the same way to promote similar ad creative. When it becomes problematic, you should combine ad sets. More. Just stick with the one ad set.
6. Create The campaign is the foundation of your Facebook ad. This is where you'll set an advertising objective, which defines what you want your ad to achieve. More to satisfy your business goals. That could be for top of the funnel (awareness, engagement, traffic), lead generation, and sales. You shouldn’t need much more than that.
There will always be exceptions (don’t come at me!), especially with higher budgets. But stop overthinking this stuff.
Keep it simple.