Hey, welcome back to my experiment! I served you a Facebook ad because you have viewed 17 or more pages of my website during the past 180 days.
Today’s video lesson is embedded below…
In the last lesson, I talked about how I’d do this experiment a lot differently if I were to do it all over again. The primary focus of that was on how I’d manage frequency and not worry so much about whether you saw every single lesson — instead attempt to show each one once.
I wanted to tell you how I’m applying some of that in two separate campaigns, as well as what I might do in a future campaign.
In the 10th lesson, I talked about how I started that process with a separate experiment where I am attempting to reach all of my Facebook followers, but no more than once for the life of the campaign (up to 90 days). In the video above, I walked through the status.
But here’s a snapshot look…
On the first day, I reached more than 17,000 of my followers with a CPM of only $.56. This was because Facebook was prioritizing the least expensive followers first. But I would never reach them again. It would get more expensive every day.
Even so, the CPM yesterday was still a manageable $2.93, which wallowed me to reach nearly 3,000 of my followers for only $10 — 30% of which were from the US, UK, Canada, and Australia.
How long will it take to reach close to all of my followers, and how much will it cost? It’s tough to say. But I’ve reached more than 66,000 so far in 11 days.
Another campaign where I’m applying what I’ve learned here is something I wrote about recently on my blog. I am running ads to promote episodes of my podcast that are published to my Facebook page.
Of course, the eligible audience is small. Only people from the US on a mobile device can listen to podcast episodes on Facebook.
So, I created a Reach campaign with a single ad set that again uses a frequency cap of 1 in 90 days. Every time I publish a new episode, I turn it into an ad. So, my hope isn’t that I reach everyone with every ad. Instead, I want to reach all of my followers from the US on a mobile device with ONE of them.
I plan on applying a similar principle to how I’m currently promoting blog posts. While I have a campaign that’s targeting my more engaged followers and website visitors with a single ad set that includes several ads (one ad for each blog post), I’m going to attack it differently going forward.
Every month, I’ll create a new ad set for the blog posts I publish that month. I’ll target a tight audience — maybe the top 5% of people who spend the most time on my website during the past 180 days — and use a frequency cap of 1 in 30 days. Or maybe 2? But the main thing is I don’t need to show you EVERY blog post. I want to make sure you see at least one that month.
There are so many possibilities. But it can be done affordably — far more affordably than this experiment has been! That’s thanks to having a different outlook on how much I have to reach everyone.
If you want to get more tips served to you, you’ll need to first qualify! The next threshold to hit is viewing at least 18 pages of my website in 180 days.
View Prior Lessons
I have multiple engagement thresholds for viewing lessons in this experiment. If you were already ultra-active on my website, it’s possible you’ll skip a few of the initial lessons. As a result, I will link to all prior lessons at the bottom of each one.
Here you go:
- EXPERIMENT: Lesson Unlocked (2 Views)
- EXPERIMENT: Lesson Unlocked (3 Views)
- EXPERIMENT: Lesson Unlocked (4 Views)
- EXPERIMENT: Lesson Unlocked (5 Views)
- EXPERIMENT: Lesson Unlocked (6 Views)
- EXPERIMENT: Lesson Unlocked (7 Views)
- EXPERIMENT: Lesson Unlocked (8 Views)
- EXPERIMENT: Lesson Unlocked (9 Views)
- EXPERIMENT: Lesson Unlocked (10 Views)
- EXPERIMENT: Lesson Unlocked (11 Views)
- EXPERIMENT: Lesson Unlocked (12 Views)
- EXPERIMENT: Lesson Unlocked (13 Views)
- EXPERIMENT: Lesson Unlocked (14 Views)
- EXPERIMENT: Lesson Unlocked (15 Views)
- EXPERIMENT: Lesson Unlocked (16 Views)